The 26 MESGO participants, of 21 different nationalities, met in the City of Light. “Context of international sport” was the main focus of this first session.
The first session of this 4th MESGO edition took place from 19th to 23rd September 2016 in various locations across Paris: French Olympic Committee (CNOSF), the French Football Federation (FFF), the French Basketball Federation (FFBB) and the French Ministry of Urban Affairs, Youth and Sports.
The main topic, « Context of International Sport », was covered at institutional, legal and economic levels and integrated into the social, technological and media contexts. Current challenges faced by the sports movement were addressed and potential solutions discussed.
During the week, the participants had the opportunity to interact with a large panel of experts in their field, such as:
- Jean Brihault, President, European Handball Federation (EHF)
- Giorgio Marchetti, Competitions Director, Union of European Football (UEFA)
- Anne Brasseur, Deputy, Council of Europe
- Étienne Thobois, Chief Executive Officier, Paris 2024 bid
- Wladimir Andreff, Emeritus Professor, University Paris I
- Mogens Kirkeby, President, International Sport and Culture Association (ISCA)
- Jean-Pierre Siutat, President, French Basketball Federation (FFBB)
The 26 MESGO IV participants, with Anne Brasseur (Deputy, Council of Europe).
After their first day, the participants, the speakers and several graduates of the previous MESGO editions enjoyed a dinner at Le Chalet des Iles where they had the chance to taste the fine French cuisine.
Next stop will be in Lausanne and Nyon, Switzerland, from 31st October to 4th November. “Governance of Sports Organisations” will be the main focus for this second session of the 4th MESGO edition.